The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has finalized the new flood maps which will be effective on August 18, 2014.
Currently, residents and businesses in Broward County are encouraged to view the new flood maps to better understand their potential flood risk and to help identify steps they may need to take to protect against property damage and loss.
Property owners should consider purchasing a flood insurance policy, even if it is not mandated for their location. All areas are susceptible to flooding, although to varying degrees.
Before accessing the interactive map viewing tool at the bottom of the page, please read the following information and instructions.
Flood Zone Designations
The following flood zone designation determines whether or not flood insurance is mandated.
- Zone A Flood insurance rate zone determined by approximate methods, as no Base Flood Elevations (BFEs) are available for these areas. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.
- Zone AE Flood insurance rate zone that corresponds with flood depths greater than 3 feet. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.
- Zone AH Flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to areas of shallow flooding with average depths between 1 and 3 feet. Mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply.
- Zone VE Flood insurance rate zone that corresponds to coastal areas that have additional hazards associated with storm waves. Mandatory flood insurance requirements apply.
- Zone X-Shaded 0.2 PCT Annual Chance Flood Hazard / Zone X Flood insurance rate zones that are outside the flood plain or the average flood depths of less than 1 foot. Flood insurance purchase is not mandatory.
Interactive Map Viewing Tool
You can use the interactive map viewing tool to find out if your home or business is in a flood zone.
To use the tool, follow these steps:
- Click on the search tool below.
- Type in the address of your property in the area at the top right, above the map titled “Find address or place”, and click on the magnifying glass to search.
- Use the tool on the left side of the map to zoom in and locate your property.
- Click on your property and the FEMA Flood Designations box will let you know your current and proposed FEMA flood zone designation.